ISO/IEC 17025 is the global recognized standard that was developed specifically for testing and calibration of laboratories seeking accreditation from an accreditation body. It covers testing and calibration performed using standard methods, non-standard methods, and laboratory-developed methods.
Laboratories that managed to demonstrate compliance with ISO/IEC 17025 at assessment have proved they operate using sound management practices and are technically competent to perform specific tests, calibrations and/or measurements, and are able to generate technically valid results for which they hold accreditation. To maintain this recognition, laboratories are re-evaluated periodically by the accreditation body to ensure their continued compliance with the requirements, and to check that their standard of operation is being maintained. Laboratories may also be required to participate in relevant proficiency testing programs between reassessments, as a further demonstration of technical competence.
- Increase confidence in Testing/ Calibration data and personnel performing work.
- Better control of laboratory operations and feedback to laboratories as to whether they have sound Quality Assurance System and are technically competent.
- Savings in terms of time and money due to reduction or elimination of the need for re-testing of products.
- Continually improving data quality and laboratory effectiveness.
- Potential increase in business due to enhanced customer confidence and satisfaction.
- Customers can search and identify the laboratories accredited by the Accreditation Member Body for their specific requirements from their website or Directory of Accredited Laboratories.
- Users of accredited laboratories will enjoy greater access to their products, in both domestic and international markets, when tested by accredited laboratories.
- Improve national and global reputation and image of the laboratory.